Design and Technology
At Cove Infant School, we are committed to delivering a curriculum accessible to all which provides the broadest possible range of opportunities for the children. One which will allow children to become self-motivated and confident learners, who can work independently and as part of a team. We aim to ensure that learners develop technical and practical competencies as well as the wider skills needed as they develop through the years. We aim for our children to be problem solvers who can think critically and constructively after making an evaluation of their work.
We believe that children learn best by ‘doing’ and by allowing them to experiment and take risks, in a safe and positive learning environment. This is achieved through imaginative teaching that embraces new technologies whilst retaining the best of traditional practices. At the heart of this, is the desire to deliver a curriculum in which children produce high quality outcomes.
- Explore simple joining techniques using staples and selotape.
- Create boats using children’s own ideas.
- Adapting ideas and strategies when required.
- Examine different styles of brides and their key features before building our own.
- Design, Make and Evaluate a form of transport.
- Introduction to cooking - Making Pancakes!
- Explore the movement that can be achieved using different joins.
- Design, make and evaluate a hand puppet.
- Create a slider for a Hansel and Gretel Story book.
- Design, Make and Evaluate a pizza and choose healthy and colourful pizza toppings.
- Design, Make and Evaluate a Bird Scarer and choose appropriate materials.
- Select and use a range of tools and techniques when designing for a purpose.
- Test whether the product meets the given criteria.
- Design, create and evaluate a product to meet given criteria.
- Explore how to make a product stronger and more stable.
- Use success criteria to evaluate ideas and products.
- Modify and develop designs and products.
- Make choices from different foods to make healthy fruit and vegetable kebabs.