Art and Design
At Cove Infant School, we believe that art stimulates creativity, imagination and inventiveness. The children at Cove are able to express their feelings, opinions and emotions through a wide variety of mediums. This process allows children to experiment with their ideas, their use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
As part of our integrated curriculum, art is not taught in a designated Art lesson, but wherever appropriate, it is linked to our projects and the wider curriculum as it gives children opportunities to bring our projects to life. We are confident that this approach enthuses children and leads them to produce exciting, purposeful artwork, which we often showcase at our outcomes.
In the Year R curriculum, expressive arts and design enables children to explore colour, shape, texture and form in a variety of imaginative ways.
Children have opportunities to participate in adult directed activities as well as following their own interests.
- Explore colour mixing using paint
- Explore sculpture by creating 3D box models
- Use a range of materials to create a penguin collage
- Investigate different textures
- Conduct observational drawings
- Explore fireworks using chalk, learning how to smudge
- Study the famous artists Monet and Kandinsky.
- Discover art from different cultures
- Study the famous artist and work of Gustav Klimt.
- Explore shape and pattern.
- Print using a range of materials.
- Self-evaluate a finished product.
- Mix colour for a particular purpose.
- Shades and tones of colour.
- Use natural resources to create a collage.
- Clay sculptures of endangered animals.
- Exploring perspective using watercolour paint.
- Blending colour for a particular purpose.
- Creating a painting from a description.
- Observational sketching of real objects.
- Make evaluations based on the effect different mediums can have.
- Exploring textured watercolour painting to achieve shadowing.
- Use chalk to create a light and dark effect.
- Sculpt a 3D castle using mixed media.
- Create caricatures portrait drawings.