Also known as Internet Safety / Online Safety
Cove Infant School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and expects all staff, volunteers and other people encountering our children to share this commitment. This includes Esafety.
E-safety is an integral part of children’s education in today’s digital world and is embedded in their learning at school. We want to help our parents and children improve their own understanding of e-safety issues so they can learn to use the internet and all digital media in a safe and secure way.
From observing your child, especially during lockdown, you will know how important the internet is to children - they use it to learn, play, socialise and express themselves. It's a highly creative place of amazing opportunities. But the technology children use every day can seem a bit daunting and you might worry about the risks your child can face online - such as bullying, contact from strangers or the possibility of them seeing illegal or inappropriate content.
You can download a simple checklist below that may help you start to protect your children online and decrease the risks they face, or you can engage with your children regarding their use of the internet while at home. Here are some conversation starter ideas from www.childnet.com
- Ask your children to tell you about the sites they like to visit and what they enjoy doing online.
- Ask them about how they stay safe online. What tips do they have for you, and where did they learn them? What is OK and not OK to share?
- Ask them if they know where to go for help if they saw something they did not like when using the internet at home / at school.
- Encourage them to help. Perhaps they can show you how to do something better online or they might have a friend who would benefit from their help and support.
- Think about how you use the internet as a family. What could you do to get more out of the internet together and further enjoy your lives online